11 Great Ways To Make Someone's Day By Kim McGinnis
Giving feels good. Whether it is a beautifully wrapped gift or a genuine smile it is a wonderful feeling knowing that you made the recipient's day a little brighter. In an effort to help you come up with some creative ways to give here is my list:
1. The next time you go out to eat by yourself, leave a really big tip. If your meal was $10.00 leave a $10.00 tip. Write a nice note on the back of the check or on a napkin that the server can read. Express your appreciation for the great service they provided. Use their name on the note for a personal touch -- their name is usually typed somewhere on the check
2. Put a greeting card in your neighbor's mailbox. It doesn't have to be a holiday or special occasion. In fact, it is often more meaningful to reach out with an unexpected gift on a seemingly ordinary day. This lets your recipient know that he/she is not alone, and that there really are angels out there.
3. Seek out a manager to compliment an employee. You could be out clothes shopping and appreciate the extra help in finding the pants that you were looking for. Or maybe you are at the bank and you want to give recognition to the teller that always remembers your name. Express to the manger what an asset this person is to the company.
4. Take some of your really nice items to Goodwill. It is easy and freeing to give away things that you do not like or have grown tired of. Why not step it up and give away something that you really love. Maybe it's a cute top that you have only worn once. Or maybe it's a painting that inspires you. To give something away that you feel attached to means so much - to you and the recipient.
5. Give fresh flowers. Get a lovely bouquet of something particularly bright, like sunflowers. Visit an elderly care center in your area and visit someone. Ask the receptionist if there is someone that lives there that has no family, or does not have a lot of visitors. Visit your new friend, sit down with them, talk, and listen.
6. Go online and give positive feedback to posts that you like. Have no thought of self-promotion when you do this. If you really appreciate a sentiment expressed in the post, let the writer know. Share how it made you feel and what you learned.
7. Do not talk publicly on your cell phone. Practice this the next time you are at a coffee shop, a bookstore, the gym, or someplace where you are in close proximity to others. Those next to you will appreciate your discreet display of courtesy.
8. Give your accountant a gift around tax time. This is a very high-pressure time for these folks, and they are used to being on the end of a lot of hostility. Throw them a curve ball with a box of chocolates, a coffee mug with a smiley face, or a gift card to Ben and Jerry's.
9. Make a new person feel welcome. Maybe you have a new employee at work, or a new person in the neighborhood, or a new member in your networking group - whatever the case, walk over and give them a warm welcome. Let them know you are there if they have any questions or if they would like to get together for a cup of coffee.
10. Leave an anonymous donation. Purchase a sheep for a needy family, contribute a computer, or help save an endangered species. When you give anonymously, your gift has extra positive energy attached to it. This means that someone will receive an unexpected gift that they will perceive as a miracle.
11. Plant a tree. Planting trees is a great way to enhance the beauty of an environment. They also provide shade in the Summer and warmth in the Winter. In addition, they add value to the community. When you plant a tree in your yard (or anywhere) you will be leaving a wonderful creation behind that will be enjoyed by future generations.
These are just a few examples you can ponder and act on when the spirit moves you. Just do not wait too long. The sooner you spread the love to someone, the sooner that person can spread the love to someone else.
About the author:
Kim McGinnis is a freelance writer and entrepreneur. Her website ...a zen gift www.AZenGift.com offers products that support a zen lifestyle-from yoga & meditation supplies to natural health remedies & much more! Also visit Kim at: www.ZenFireflies.com. Come see these amazing,dancing Zen Fireflies for yourself.